- Biomedical image processing
- Deep learning
- Data visualization
- GPU and parallel computing
- Ph.D in Computer Science, University of Utah, USA (2008)
- M.S. in Computer Science & Engineering, Korea University, Seoul, Korea (2001)
- B.S. in Mathematics, Korea University, Seoul, Korea (1999)
- Harvard Medical School (Cambridge, MA), visiting associate professor in Neurobiology, 2017-2018.
- Harvard University (Cambridge, MA), research scientist at visual computing group and the center for brain science, 2008-2011.
- NVIDIA Corporation (Santa Clara, CA), GPU computing group, summer intern, 2007.
- ExxonMobil Upstream Research Company (Houston, TX), Visualization & Integration group, summer intern, 2006.
- Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik (Saarbrücken, Germany), AG4 (Computer Graphics group), research assistant, 2001-2003.
Selected Publications (a full list can be found here)
- Tran Minh Quan, Junyoung Choi, Haejin Jeong, Won-Ki Jeong, An Intelligent System Approach for Probabilistic Volume Rendering Using Hierarchical 3D Convolutional Sparse Coding. IEEE Trans. Vis. Comput. Graph (IEEE Visualization). 24(1): 964-973, 2018.
- David G. C. Hildebrand et al., Whole-brain serial-section electron microscopy in larval zebrafish. Nature, vol. 545, iss. 7654, pp. 345-349, 2017.
- Sumin Hong and Won-Ki Jeong, A Group-Ordered Fast Iterative Method for Eikonal Equations, IEEE transactions on parallel and distributed systems (TPDS), vol. 28, no. 2, pp.318-331, 2017.
- Woohyuk Choi, Sumin Hong, Won-Ki Jeong, Vispark: GPU-Accelerated Distributed Visual Computing Using Spark. SIAM J. Scientific Computing 38(5), p.S700-S719, 2016.
- Tran Minh Quan, Won-Ki Jeong, Compressed Sensing Dynamic MRI Reconstruction Using GPU-accelerated 3D Convolutional Sparse Coding. MICCAI (3) 2016: 484-492
- Tran Minh Quan and Won-Ki Jeong, A fast discrete wavelet transform using hybrid parallelism on GPUs, IEEE transactions on parallel and distributed systems (TPDS), 27(11): 3088-3100, 2016.
- Tran Minh Quan and Won-Ki Jeong, Compressed Sensing Reconstruction of Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MRI Using GPU-Accelerated Convolutional Sparse Coding, IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI), pp.518-521, Podium Presentation, 2016 .
- Tran Minh Quan, Sohyun Han, Hyungjoon Cho, and Won-Ki Jeong, Multi-GPU Reconstruction of Dynamic Compressed Sensing MRI, in Proceedings of the 18th international conference on medical image computing and computer-assisted intervention (MICCAI), pp. 484-492, 2015.
- Hyungsuk Choi, Woohyuk. Choi, Tran Minh Quan, David G. C. Hildebrand, Hanspeter Pfister, and Won-Ki Jeong, Vivaldi: a domain-specific language for volume processing and visualization on distributed heterogeneous systems, IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics (IEEE Visualization), 20(12): 2407-2416 , 2014.
- Won-Ki Jeong, Jens Schneider, A. Hansen, M. Lee, Stephen G. Turney, Beverly E. Faulkner-Jones, J. L. Hecht, R. Najarian, E. Yee, Jeff W. Lichtman, Hanspeter Pfister, A Collaborative Digital Pathology System for Multi-Touch Mobile and Desktop Computing Platforms. Comput. Graph. Forum 32(6): 227-242, 2013 (Invited to EuroVis 2014 oral presentation).
- Markus Hadwiger, Johanna Beyer, Won-Ki Jeong, Hanspeter Pfister, Interactive Volume Exploration of Petascale Microscopy Data Streams Using a Visualization-Driven Virtual Memory Approach. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 18, No. 12, pp.2285-2294, 2012 (IEEE Visualization).
- Zhisong Fu, Won-Ki Jeong, Yongsheng Pan, Robert M. Kirby, Ross T. Whitaker, A Fast Iterative Method for Solving the Eikonal Equation on Triangulated Surfaces. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, Vol 33, No 5, pp. 2468-2488, 2011.
- Won-Ki Jeong, Jens Schneider, Stephen G. Turney, Beverly E. Faulkner-Jones, Dominik Meyer, Rüdiger Westermann, R. Clay Reid, Jeff Lichtman, Hanspeter Pfister, Interactive Histology of Large-Scale Biomedical Image Stacks. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 16, No 6, pp. 1386-1395, October 2010 (IEEE Visualization).
- Won-Ki Jeong, Johanna Beyer, Markus Hadwiger, RustyBlue, Charles Law, Amelio Vazquez, Clay Reid, Jeff Lichtman, Hanspeter Pfister, SSECRETT and NeuroTrace: Interactive Visualization and Analysis Tools for Large-Scale Neuroscience Datasets. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol 30, No 3, pp. 58-70, 2010.
- Won-Ki Jeong, Johanna Beyer, Markus Hadwiger, Amelio Vazquez, Hanspeter Pfister, Ross T. Whitaker, Scalable and Interactive Segmentation and Visualization of Neural Processes in EM Datasets, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 15, No 6, pp.1505-1514, 2009 (IEEE Visualization).
Honor / Award
- Best Presentation Award at KCGS Conference (한국컴퓨터그래픽스학회 학술대회 우수발표상) 2017
- Best Paper Award at KCGS Conference (한국컴퓨터그래픽스학회 학술대회 최우수논문상) 2016
- NAVER Young Faculty Fellowship (네이버 신진교수상) 2016
- NVIDIA CUDA Research Center 2014
- Best Paper Award Mention at KCGS conference (한국컴퓨터그래픽스학회 학술대회 우수논문상) 2014
- Poster Honorable Mention for SciVis 2013 (IEEE Visualization)
- Honorable Mention for Best Paper Award at VisWeek 2012 (IEEE Visualization)
- NVIDIA Graduate Fellowship 2007
- Finalist in the 2007 BGCE student paper competition (co-located with SIAM CS&E conference 2007)
Professional Activities (Selected)
- IEEE BISP Technical Committee Associate Member 2018-2020
- EuroVis State-of-the-Art Report 2018, 2017 (PC)
- EuroVis Short Paper 2018, 2017, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 (PC)
- IEEE Symposium on Large-scale Data Analysis and Visualization (LDAV) 2018, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012 (PC)
- Journal of the Korea Computer Graphics Society, Associate Editor (한국컴퓨터그래픽스학회 논문지 부편집장) 2016-2018
- PacificVis Poster Co-Chair, 2017
- PacificVis Visualization Note 2018 (PC)
- Korea Computer Graphics Society Conference, PC (한국컴퓨터그래픽스학회 학술대회 프로그램 위원) 2016, 2015, 2014
- IFMIA (International Forum on Medical Imaging in Asia) 2017 (PC)
- EuroVis 2013, 2012, 2011 (PC)
- International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications, and Technology (PDCAT) 2014 (PC)
- Frontiers of Heterogeneous Computing 2013 (PC)
- Frontier of GPU Computing 2012, 2011 (PC)
- Workshop on General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Processing Units 2011 (PC)
- ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2016 (reviewer)
- IEEE SciVis 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 (reviewer)
- IEEE InfoVis 2013, 2011, 2010 (reviewer)
- IEEE BioVis 2014 (reviewer)
- IEEE TVCG 2012, 2011, 2010 (reviewer)
- ACM SIGGRAPH 2011, 2010 (reviewer)
- IEEE Visualization 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 (reviewer)
- IEEE PacificVis 2011, 2009 (reviewer)
Classes taught at UNIST
- CSE471 Intro. to Computer Graphics (2017,2016,2015, 2014, 2013, 2012)
- CSE221 Data Structures (2017,2016,2015, 2014, 2013, 2012)
- ECE522 Data Visualization (2016,2014)
- ECE519 Massively Parallel Programming (2015, 2013, 2012)
- ECE715 Advanced Computer Graphics (2012, 2011)